Monday, July 18, 2011

Big Girl room.

With just a mere 6 weeks to go before we have another little one movin' on in to our humble abode, it's time we get Miss Brooke Mary into her Big Girl room full-time. Can't have a giant toddler in the crib with a newborn, now can we?

Her room has been ready for a few weeks now. I think it turned out adorable, but I'm a little biased since I did it :) I got her pink & yellow quilt on a killer sale at Pottery Barn Kids and I just love it. Her pale yellow walls match her quilt and are much tamer than the super-bright Big Bird yellow walls we have in our family room. My mom made her cute pink striped valances (thanks again!) I still need to come up with something to put on the wall abover her bed, but otherwise the room is finished as far as I'm concerned. And I certainly enjoyed doing some gender-specific decorating! (Sorry, the lighting in these pictures isn't great. The yellow walls are closest to the 1st & 3rd pictures.)
We've made a big effort to spend a lot of time in there with her. We very excitedly talk about her Big Girl room all the time; she loves to talk about it and go in there! We've also been referring to the nursery as the baby's room, not her room, as much as possible.

My plan all along was to get started the first week of July with naps, then try to move to overnights in there by the first week of August. Well, my sickness postponed this schedule a little bit, so we just started yesterday. I'm happy to report that the chickadee had a very successful first nap in her Big Girl bed! We talked all about it before I took her in there. We went into the nursery and got all the essentials out of the crib: her bunny, pacifier, seahorse, & pillow. I made a big deal of putting her in the bed, but she wasn't super happy about it. She cried for about the first thirty seconds and then proceeded to take a 2.5 hour nap :) And as I type this, she's about 1.5 hours into Day #2's nap! There were a few tears again today (about 20 seconds), but she never tried to climb out (I don't think she realizes that she can...which is not a terrible thing.)
(Yes, I risked waking her to take this picture. But it's just so sweet.)
I'm very hopeful that this is all going to go well. Even though the transition has been a bit delayed, I still think we can get her to sleep overnight in there in just a few weeks. Let's hope so, because this baby isn't going to hang out in my belly a few extra weeks just because Big Sister is still in the crib!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Reeder Party of Five. Powered by